Costa Rica Study Abroad Program
Whether your child is a seasoned traveler, been to an overnight summer camp, or leaving home for the first time, the WLA Costa Rica Study Abroad Program offers a safe and structured experience abroad with people your child knows and trusts.
From May 29th – June 5th , your child has a unique opportunity to be immersed in Spanish, participating in intensive hands-on science and cultural learning in a safe setting on the University of Georgia’s Costa Rica campus with classmates and chaperones from the WLA community.
It is hard to capture all of the possibilities of growth on an academic and personal level this program offers the students during the two week program. Some of the activities and instruction include:
- Doing classroom projects with students from the Upper San Luis Elementary School
- Sharing a few authentic meals in the home of a Costa Rican family
- Hiking to La Fortuna Waterfall
- Horseback riding
- Experiencing the tropical rain forest first hand, which contains five percent of the world’s biodiversity
- Studying tropical plants and their medicinal benefits, insect biodiversity, and animals as they hike through the Monte Verde Cloud Forest
- Learning about the birds of San Luis at the Manuel Antonio National Park on the coast, which has different biodiversity than the cloud forest
- Testing the quality of the water of Costa Rica to compare with the water quality tested at home
- Learning about the importance of offsetting carbon emissions during the carbon offset program where students will plant trees or work in the seedling production nursery
- Touring a local and UGA sustainable farm, milk a cow, and see how the animal waste is converted to cooking fuel in the bio digester
We hope that you agree with us about this amazing experience and start putting aside the money so when your child becomes an 8th grader, he or she can participate and experience Costa Rica with his or her WLA family! Please explore this website and contact us if you have any questions.